Tuesday, October 2, 2007

1%


Today I decided to run at 6am rather than 6pm. It doesn’t happen too often – as I value my sleep. I have stated before I enjoy running at off times – like early morning-or in the rain – so I figured – why not. A lot of runners I know run so effortlessly. I am not one of those people. Every run I do takes a great deal of effort – and it is very rare that I ever have an easy run. 99% of the time – it’s hard. To me a 3 miler is just as grueling as a 20 miler. I feel as each step I am 2 ton Charlie pushing my way though. But today was different. Today was that 1%

I woke up at 5:45am- and put on my sneaks- grabbed my ipod – and took off. Funny thing about my ipod. I used to HAVE to have it with me. I needed have Joey Ramone yell “aye-oh – Let’s go!” to keep me on pace. Now – I just bring my ipod with me to use my Nike Plus and track my distance and pace. Other than that – it’s just me and my thoughts. For some reason ‘’Anchors away’’ was playing in my head. I think I must have passed a sign advertising fleet week. But I seem to have learned how not to run with an Ipod. Just hearing Bono singing about getting Vertigo in my head -- makes me beg for silence. Booming drums – or blaring base? Give me booming feet – and the sound of my breath. Or maybe I need to down load new songs?

The streets of North Beach were quiet. Just the sounds of my sneaks pounding the pavement split the silence. Once in a while I’d pass a merchant opening up for business. But once I hit the Embarcadero – that all changed. It was filled with runners. Almost like a track practice. Slow runners – fast runners – elite runners. One gentleman I passed had a 25 pound back pack on his back. The pack was tightened to be nice and snug on his back to avoid bounce and chafing. Wonder what he was training for? Some people said good morning- some people were lost in their thoughts. Me? I seem to have discovered that effortless run people talk about. The run seemed easy and quick – though the guy with the 25 pounder on his back eventually passed me. But I didn’t care. I got in a 5 miler –and it was the easiest 5 miler I have run in a long time.

Perhaps it was the non tired legs that a work day can give me. Perhaps it wasn’t carrying my lunch with me. Or just running on a full night’s sleep vs a full work day. Maybe the carbs I consumed the night before. Whatever the reason- I hope to have a good run tomorrow morning as well. I also hope to beat that guy with the 25 pound back. Seriously – what is he training for?

No comments: