Thursday, September 27, 2007

Any Port in a Storm

I grew up in a town called Wantagh on Long Island, New York. In this town lived a family named the Bakers. For some unknown reason the Bakers had the biggest sail boat you could ever imagine, in their driveway. No matter how big you are thinking - the boat was bigger. Each time I would pass this house -I could never prepare myself on the enormity of this boat. It towered over their home. To get it to their house - the Bakers needed a special truck - and if I recall- they had to adjust power lines in the streets. I imagine a slow painful process. I picture that once they got it in their driveway - they said it would take hell or high water for them to move it again. It's true. This thing sat for years. 5 years - 10 Years -20 Years - in their driveway.

Well my sister emailed me last night - and let me know that the boat has finally sailed -as it was gone. Bon Voyage Baker family - and have a safe trip. (Ps the odds of this boat being sea worthy is zero -but hey - any port in a storm - right?)

No comments: